Should you work full time?
Being a stay at home mom is not for everyone and if it's not for you, you certainly shouldn't feel bad about it! I feel so bad hearing women (or men) who are unhappy staying at home with their children. Everyone goes through rough days (maybe even a week) but if you are finding yourself unhappy for extended periods of time, think of some other options. If most of the following statements match your feelings, perhaps it's time to go back to work, go back to school, or work part time.
1. You are going into debt because you can't afford to pay your bills.
2. You are not known to be very patient.
3. You miss your old job constantly.
4. 10 minutes of duck duck goose is enough to drive you into the grave.
5. The thought of repeating the same thing 55 times a day is less than enticing.
6. You think a play date is the worst possible thing you could do with your time.
7. You constantly miss the lifestyle you had while you were working.
8. You find yourself moody and resentful of the life your significant other has outside the home.
9. If you hear Elmo's laugh one more time, you might punch yourself in the face.
10. You have found your passion/niche (and it doesn't involve being a stay at home mom!)
Should you work Part Time? New research indicates that moms that work part time are the happiest because they have their time away but don't feel overwhelmed by trying to do everything. If the following statements match your feelings, it may be time to look into a part time job or even going back to school.
1. You have to work to pay the bills (and by bills I mean mortgage, utilities, or car payments). You hate constantly worrying about how you're going to pay the electric bill.
2. You miss getting out and feeling like an adult.
3. You would like to make a little extra money for a nice pair of boots you've been eyeing up.
4. You enjoy staying at home (most of the time) but sometimes feel chained to the house and need a break.
Should you stay at home full time?
1. You truly enjoy playing hide n seek, duck duck goose, and reading Elmo books (it's not for everyone after all)
2. You enjoy being creative and finding new games to play.
3. Coloring and crafts are a hobby of yours.
4. You often find yourself singing Barney songs.
5. The thought of working full time and letting someone else take care of your child makes you feel ill.
6. You feel like staying at home with the kids is what you were meant to do.
Whatever choice you make, the important thing is to feel confident in your decision and not carry around guilt. Also, it's enough to know that you are a good mom if you are able to pay your bills, keep your children in a safe and fulfilling environment (even if it's not with you!), and still be true to yourself!