Looking for a fun way to get your kids to eat healthier? Well, first of all, you are the one buying the groceries so everything is in your power and your kids will adjust. If they don't like veggies now, their taste buds will adjust and they will begin to like them eventually.
Here's a fun game to help you and your kids along to a healthier lifestyle and also put some fun in the kitchen!
1. Make a list of about 15 fruits, 15 veggies, and 10 whole grains foods. For little kids, print out some pictures or cut some out of magazines (kids can help too).
2. Sit down with the kids and ask them to play this game (you can refer to anything as a game to make it sound fun!) Ask them to make a list of their top 5 foods from each food group.
*If your daring, you can also tell them to make their favorite desserts too.
3. As they are making their list or cutting out pictures, talk to them about how
some of the foods they already eat are made from these foods. For example, hummus is made from chic peas and pizza can be made from wheat crust, tomatoes, and veggies. By the way, if you don't have a pizza stone, you should get one! I use mine every week. I buy wheat dough and it really is delicious! You can put any leftovers from the week on your pizza (taco leftovers, chicken, veggies....get creative!)
4. Take these lists and hang them on the fridge. Never make separate meals for different kids (this will set a bad habit). Get kids excited by saying, "Hey John, tonight is your special night! We are having your favorite veggie! Isn't that cool?"
5. Finally, remember that if you eat a lot of these nutritional foods and enjoy them, they will too! Treats are ok but limit them since they are TREATS (that includes sweet drinks!) Do not underestimate how much you are helping your children by setting a foundation of a healthy lifestyle that they can carry with them throughout their life. You will be helping them to avoid heart problems, high blood pressure, poor self esteem, and many other factors.
4. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
* You can also ask your significant other (or anyone else you cook for) to do this too! You may be surprised at what you found out!