Nifty vs. Thrifty

Friday, April 30, 2010

Distraction is Killing People

Isn't it interesting? It is becoming a national epidemic-texting or talking on the phone and driving. I always talk about how being present is good so that you can enjoy the moments but what about being present to stay alive or keep others alive?
I used to work in a brain injury rehabilitation center for people who needed long term care. Let me just tell you that it wasn't pretty. The majority of these people were injured by motor vehicle accidents. These people were young and old and had so many ambitions and goals that were shattered in an instant. Unfortunetly, there is going to be a rise in brain injuries because of texting/talking on the phone while driving.
I signed Oprah's no phone zone document and it got me thinking. Wouldn't it be great if every mom put down their phone (including myself) and starts living in the present for the safety and wellbeing of themselves and their children. Oprah talks about people talking on their phone while driving but I wonder how many deaths have happened another way (drowning, poison, falls, etc.) because parents were on their phone and not paying attention.
How many children have been in a serious accident because they themselves were distracted. If kids see you multitasking they will pick up the trait and start doing it themselves. Next thing you know, they will be skateboarding while playing video games (I've seen this in my neighborhood), texting while riding their bike, and before you know it they might be texting while driving. It's very scary. I know I've been guilty of doing this myself but I want you all to help me as a team and start being present with our children.
Leave your cell phone in the diaper bag or in the house so you aren't tempted or put it out of reach.
Live in the present. Distraction is getting so out of hand it is killing people! Live simply and enjoy the moments so you have more moments in your future. It's easy, start today!

No comments:

Post a Comment