Of course you think your child is the best on the soccor field and the cutest one in their class, right? Sure, you and every other parent! You want your child to feel good about themselves and be confident but not to have an overinflated ego. So, how do we teach our children to be humble and not be arrogant?
First, lead by example. Child learn best by what we do not what we say. Be proud of your accomplishments but also realistic about your weaknesses. Also, point out another persons achievements and talents and make a joke out of the things you don't do well. Take caution when judging others.
Second, play a fun game where you do something nice for others without ANYONE knowing. This exercise is great for adults and children as well! The point of this exercise is to do something nice for another person without getting ANY recognition in return. Carry a smile with you all day knowing that you did something special without anything in return. Have fun keeping your special secret and get a giggle out of making someone else's day! Feel proud of your altruistic deed. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Pay for the stranger's coffee behind you in line and leave without telling anyone what you did.
2. Take a neighbors trash cans up to their house after the trash people come and collect it.
3. Pay someone else's tab in a restaurant and leave before they have the chance to say thank you. It can be fun to sit in a dinner and pick out the person (or people) who you think look deserving of your special treat.
4. Volunteer. There are so many opportunities to volunteer. Check out www.volunteermatch.org for opportunities that match your talents in your area. I have worked in the social work or chilcare field for many years but helping others [without getting paid] provides a completely different feeling at the end of the day.
5. Treat others with respect. Value another person's opinion even if you don't agree with it. Point out another person's qualities often.
What are your ideas for staying humble? How do you teach your children to be humble? Add your comment to the simply siena facebook page!! Can't wait to hear your ideas!!